Thursday, February 12, 2004

Tablet PC Search

I have narrowed my Tablet PC search to the Electrovaya Scribbler SC-2010

I like it for one reason. Battery Life?

Think about it. In order for the Tablet PC to be considered a contender it has to have at least 8 ? 9 hours of battery life. The whole idea is to be freed from the wired world of the desktop and roam free with your Tablet PC.

Some tablets have 300 minutes of battery life. What is the manufacturer thinking?  How can you embrace the technology if you are charging or changing the battery all the time?

For me I want to grab my Tablet PC and go all day without thinking about battery life. Unfortunately that limits the current offerings of tablet PCs to a very few.  I really want the Tablet PC to be a success because the uses that I can imagine for business is huge.

Robert Scoble reports from the O’Reilly Emerging Technology Conference that the Tablet PCs are an emerging technology trend.

I hope they are right

Posted by Stevereno on 02/12 at 11:08 PM
Technology • (0) Comments Permalink

Monday, February 09, 2004

The Return Of The Giant Sucking Sound

Adam Sparks from SFGate.com talks about The Return Of The Giant Sucking Sound

President Wilson still haunts America today. During his administration he brought the end of tariffs and the beginning of the repressive income tax that we have today. Our Government used to be funded by tariffs on imported goods. This policy created the industrial revolution in America and lots of manufacturing jobs. After NAFTA most of the manufacturing jobs have gone away. Now with outsourcing, our technology jobs are going away as well.

It seems like our politicians are giving away the farm without any consideration of the outcome. Read the article. Adam Sparks makes a good argument.

Posted by Stevereno on 02/09 at 10:56 PM
Technology • (0) Comments Permalink

Thursday, February 05, 2004

I Found a Great Interview and R?sum? Blog, “Hiring Technical People”

Check out Johanna Rothman’s blog, Hiring Technical People. Johanna has some great information from both sides of the employment desk on interviewing and r?sum?s.

It’s cool how blogs work. David Pickett visted the stevereno.net blog so….  I went to his blog to look around and found this great link.

Thank David!

Posted by Stevereno on 02/05 at 08:53 PM
Technology • (0) Comments Permalink

Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Poisoning the roots of the techno-boom

Jeff Taylor nails it in this article in salon.com, Poisoning the roots of the techno-boom.

Jeff’s point, “very little attention is being paid to a key point: The rush to outsourcing is undermining the economic foundation on which the United States’ technology sector is built.”

And has anyone in their hot pursuit of cheap labor through outsourcing thought about the consequences?

“if everyone outsources and the technology base dries up, everyone loses.”

“What is the long-term impact on the economy of losing a large number of high-paying jobs? Perhaps high-paying jobs provide a value to society that exceeds their value to a company.”

“Too much of the media coverage of outsourcing has focused on its impact at the individual level—on the plight of workers whose jobs are disappearing. We need to take another step back, to consider the long-term effects of the outsourcing trend, at both company level and national level.”

I say we are selling America out for cheap labor. We are going to regret it in the long run.

Go read Jeff Taylor’s article, and think about it.

Posted by Stevereno on 02/03 at 11:48 PM
Technology • (0) Comments Permalink

Monday, February 02, 2004

Using Threat Analysis to Design More Secure Systems

Microsoft releases a 39Mb document on threat analysis and how to use it to bulid sucure systems.

Using Threat Analysis to Design More Secure Systems

Posted by Stevereno on 02/02 at 10:02 PM
Technology • (0) Comments Permalink

Sunday, February 01, 2004

Securing Wireless Clients

I am working on a project on my test network to secure wireless comunication based on Windows 2003 Server Certificates.

I’m using the following Microsoft document for a guide, Securing Wireless LANs - A Windows Server 2003 Certificate Services Solution

Untill now, high speed internet wasn’t available in my neighorhood. Comcast is hooking me up next week.  I live in the country and have had to suffer with dialup for too long.  Having high speed internet is going to improve my skills in securing not only my wireless connection but it will give me good practice locking down my ISA server and doing intrusion detection.

I’m using a Microsoft solution for the project so I can gain some real world experience integrating all the components together. Hopefully it will translate to consulting $$ later on.

Posted by Stevereno on 02/01 at 07:43 PM
Technology • (0) Comments Permalink

Still Searching For a Tablet PC

I found the Electrovaya Scribbler SC-2010

I haven’t much knowledge of the manufacturer Electrovaya but this thing runs 8 plus hours on a single charge. It makes sense to match the business day with hardware that will keep up.

Pros:

1) Over 8 hours of battery life.
2) Latest Intel M Pentium Processor

Cons:

1) Weight 3.1 Lbs

I think this one is a contender.

Posted by Stevereno on 02/01 at 05:03 PM